Renting a Property in the UK: How to End Your Tenancy

There may be many reasons for ending your tenancy of a rental property. You may be looking to upsize or downsize, move location, or get onto the property ladder. Whatever you’re looking for, Real Move are here to make your property dreams a reality. Get in touch with a qualified agent today if you’re looking for property to rent or buy in the UK.

Ending a Tenancy During a Fixed Term

If you want to move out before the end of your fixed term, you can do so, provided there is a break clause in the contract or the landlord is willing to release you from the tenancy.

Break Clauses

Unless there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement, you will not be able to end the tenancy until the end of the fixed term without the landlord releasing you from it. Even if there is a break clause, you will still need to give the required amount of notice, as will the landlord if they choose to end the tenancy during the fixed term.

Getting Released from the Tenancy

Whether you are able to be released from the tenancy will be at the discretion of the letting agent or landlord if you wish to end it before the end of the fixed term, and in the absence of a break clause. If you have a valid reason for doing so, speak to your agent or landlord directly to see if they would be willing to release you from the contract.

You may need to come to an agreement about costs covered for re-letting the property, or, if you live in a house-share, finding someone to replace you on the contract.

Ending a Tenancy at the End of Your Fixed Term

If you intend on ending your tenancy on the last day of your fixed term, you may still need to give your landlord or agent notice, depending on what is stipulated in the contract. This will give them time to conduct your inventory check, carry out any maintenance, and re-market the property to find a new tenant.

Extending a Tenancy at the End of Your Fixed Term

If you wish to continue living at the property then, with the agreement of your landlord, you can remain in the property by continuing on a periodic (rolling) contract, or by signing another fixed term contract.

Renewing a Fixed Term Contract

This occurs when the tenancy is formally extended by the landlord or agent and you, the tenant. Usually, the contract will be the same as the original tenancy agreement, although you may wish to extend the fixed term or include a break clause, depending on your situation.

Statutory Periodic Tenancies

If your fixed term contract is not renewed but you remain in the property than the contract has become a statutory periodic contract. This means that the tenancy rolls on month-to-month, and can be ended with a set notice period, usually one or two months.

This type of contract has advantages and disadvantages: it is great if you would like flexibility, and reduces the amount of admin you and the landlord need to undertake, however, it doesn’t give you or the landlord the security of knowing how long you will be in the property.